Saturday, August 08, 2015

More training

Another training session.  This one consisted of 6 x 200m sprints with decreasing rest between them (5, 4, 3, 2, 1 minutes respectively).  The aim is to run each of these at a 400m or 800m pace.  Given that this was likely to be a tough workout, I was initially conservative, with my first run being around 38 seconds, which corresponds to a time of 76 seconds for 400m.  My time for the 400 was actually 74.55 a few days ago, and I was surprised that the first 200 was so fast.  The next 4 sprints were in the range of 33 - 36 seconds, all faster than my 400m pace, and the final 200m run, which took place after only a minute's rest after the previous run, was still around 38 seconds.

I enjoyed this session and surprised myself at how well I performed in this training session.  I thought I knew myself well, but I'm discovering my capabilities are well in excess of what I had thought.  I'm really looking forward to competing in the coming track season.

And the athletics club have been showing interest in having me run in the 4x400m relay in my age group. :)

- Tony

1 comment:

Tony said...

As a later blog post mentions, I did compete for the club in the 4x100m and 4x400m relays at the Victorian Country Athletics Championships, and we won silver in the 4x400m relay! :)