Saturday, October 24, 2015

Athletics Week 3 - 2 PBs and a hand in a record!

Had another successful day on the track today.  This week was the alternate program, for the first time this season.  I entered in the 200m and 60m sprints.

The 200m was first.  Conditions were warm, with a stiff breeze that was a full on headwind on the bend, and a slight headwind (1.2 m/S) in the home straight at the time.  Had a good run, able to maintain top speed for most of the race.  Despite the challenging wind, I ran a PB of 28.96 - 0.19 seconds faster than the previous PB from September.

The next event was the 60m.  With over an hour between events, I had to spend a bit more time warming up.  Had an excellent start, got out of the blocks ahead, and finished with a time of 8.91.  As my previous 8.8 seconds was hand timed, this would be a PB.

My last event for the day was the 4x200m relay.  As in previous weeks, I was part of an over 40s club team.  This week, I ran in second position, which meant taking the baton from someone else for the first time in 34 years! :)  This run went well.  With much easier wind conditions by now, it felt at least as fast as my individual 200m race, over 2 hours earlier, and both baton changes were reasonably smooth.  We were going for the track record, which we managed to break by 2.7 seconds, as well as beating another team in our age group, who also broke the old record. :)

So, another successful day on the track, finishing on a high note. :)

No comments: