Saturday, December 12, 2015

Change of pace (literally!)

Back on the athletics track this week.  Unfortunately, I picked up a minor niggle on Thursday, which was sufficient to rule me out of the sprints.  As a consolation, I decided to run the 800m, which would cause less stress on my legs. 

Unlike the other week, I had sufficient leg strength available to perform a near normal start, then I settled into the rest of the race.  First lap was completed within 1:18-1:19, significantly better than any previous attempt at this distance.  During the second lap, I was passed by a couple of other runners.  However, in the last 100m, I was able to surge ahead and overtake one of them, finishing third in my heat, with a PB time of 2:45.25, 6.03 seconds better than any previous race.

While I'm not a middle distance runner, I was happy with my performance today.  Hopefully, I'll be back to sprints next week.

No comments: