Saturday, November 12, 2016

A Test of Fitness!

This week’s track and field was a bit different to recent times, due to my slightly strained hamstring.  As a precaution, I didn’t run my usual sprints and ran an 800m event instead.  The 800m is an event I’ve always found challenging, with my last attempt in August at around 2:45 no better than this time last year.

My first event was the triple jump.  Although I had previously entered, my decision to go ahead wasn’t made until after a test jump, which proved my hamstring would handle the jumps.  I jumped a couple of 7.80-7.80m jumps - over 40cm short of my PB, but good, given that I was being fairly conservative.

Next was the aforementioned 800m.  My main goal here was to keep my fitness up, but I also wanted to break my long standing 2:45 PB.  However, weather conditions were tough, with a strong headwind in the final bend and to a lesser extent in the back straight.

I got off to a good start, and had to push the first run down the back straight to merge in to the inside cleanly.  From there, I settled back into what I figured would be race pace in second position.  Got passed late in the first lap, leaving me in third place at the end of the first lap with a split of around 1:16-1:17.  Maintained the pace and position in the back straight and around the final bend.  By this time, the first placed runner ran out of steam and fell behind, leaving me in second place as we left the bend.  At this point, I figured I had something left in the tank and opted for a sprint finish in the home straight.  Easily won my heat with a new PB time of 2:39.21.

Next up was discus.  Despite some good practice during the week, my performance was a bit disappointing.  First throw didn’t come out right, and ending up around 12 metres.  The second throw was better at 14m, but still well short of my PB, while the final throw was wide.

Final event was the 4x400m relay.  Following after the 800m, this was a test of both my hamstring and fitness.  I ran the second leg, taking the baton in my lane, then moving into the inside lane in the back straight, similar to the 800m.  Unlike my normal 400m run, I accelerated carefully to race pace, to avoid any issues.  The biggest challenge turned out to be following up the earlier 800m with another longer run (for me).  The run went well, and I handed the baton on to the next team member.  Our time was roughly 4:33.

Anyway, another mostly successful day with an emphasis on fitness.  I’m looking forward to when I can get back into the sprints.

Here’s my GPS log of the race.

http://ift.tt/2fKmzF1


- Tony via Tumblr http://ift.tt/2eRxfUS

No comments: