Saturday, October 07, 2017

Start Of A New SeasonToday was the start of the 2017-2018 track and field season. There was a...

Start Of A New Season

Today was the start of the 2017-2018 track and field season. There was a preseason meet last Sunday, but due to last minute car issues, I didn’t make it.

Today, I entered the 100 and 400m sprints, as well as the long jump and javelin. I also ran the 4x100m relay.

Up first was the 100 metres. Ran a bit slow at 13.41 seconds. A tight left hamstring didn’t help, and for some reason, I felt “disconnected” from my body, lacking the ability I had built up to monitor and tweak my performance. Hopefully, that’s something that will come with training and competition.

Next was long jump. Again, I had that same lack of connectedness, but I still managed 4.05 metres, which was reasonably good, given my overall performance, and better than this time last year.

This year, the 4x100m relay has been moved to the middle of the program, to encourage participation. I ran the third leg for our open men’s team. Had a rough change at the start of my leg, which slowed me a little, but I rapidly got to top speed, once settled. My second change was near perfect and performed at top speed. This was my best run of the day, and we finished a close second.

After the relay was the 400 metres. Wind conditions were tough in the back straight, and I finished with a time of 1:05.55.

Final event was the javelin. My first throw was the best of the 3 at 14.41 metres. Not bad, given my lack of practice.

Overall, it wasn’t one of my best days. Need to get that hamstring sorted, and have to reconnect to my body, so I can improve my performance. My 100m and long jump felt like they were on auto pilot, rather than me being in the zone.

Anyway, back again next week. Its good to be back on the track.


- Tony via Tumblr http://ift.tt/2gk0qQZ

No comments: